Keep in touch, friends!
That’s a common phrase said to people you don’t see often. It’s always said with the right intent, how many times do you actually keep in touch? Today, I’m getting together with a couple of college roommates, one of which I haven’t seen since last summer. If it wasn’t for him randomly texting me earlier this week, we’re not getting together.
Text messaging, along with sites such as facebook, myspace, even twitter, give all of us the ability to feel like we’re in touch with someone. By looking at their profile, reading their wall, past status updates, looking at a few new pics, and even poking somoene, you feel like you know exactly what’s going on in someone’s life. One of my better friends and I didn’t see each other for nearly a year, yet texted each other almost every day. That worket, but shouldn’t be standard for him or everyone else.
What happened to ‘calling’ someone? Is this already considered ‘so 2007′?
We’re all guilty of it, resorting to texting, facebook stalking, etc versus a simple call. Of all the numbers I have in my phone, all the friends I have on facebook: I might talk to maybe 10% of them; yet, I feel like I know what is going on with 80-90% of my friends’ lives.
Everyone is busy, or that’s what everyone says. Are we afraid of getting stuck in a conversation that might last longer than you want with someone you used to consider a very close friend? Do you really feel like someone’s friend if you text message them once in a while?
I’m all for social media; but I think it’s changing the rules of friendships, even relationships, as we speak. Is this for the better?
In the time it took me to write this blog, or for you to read this blog, we could have called someone we care about, even if it’s just to say hello. Maybe this should be added to my 09 resolutions/goals list. There are a few calls I’ll be making this weekend. Will you?
- Well... @mallofamerica + @BoyzIIMen = very awesome! #MOAturns25 https://t.co/CTGWJ9CLWr 1 month ago
- Cheering the @Timberwolves on at the @fsnorth Wolves Viewing Party! Who's here?! https://t.co/BgcUtnz8Wd 1 month ago
- .@ian_leonard Sending all of the good vibes your way! @MyFOX9 2 months ago
- Great MLB coverage by @espn. cc @mnwild https://t.co/ojD8UUh0go 2 months ago
- One of my favorite days of the year is Christmas Eve. Why? #yulelog on @kstc45 Enjoy! https://t.co/dDetLCICaf 3 months ago
- December 2013
- April 2013
- July 2012
- June 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- September 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- August 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- 27,918 hits
- My Photo Shoot With High Heel Photography
- With Malice Toward None; With Charity For All
- Personal & Professional Perception: The Difference?
- 30: Not Just An Age, But a Milestone
- The Role of Social Media and Technology in the Boston Marathon Tragedy
- Prevent Your Twitter And Social Media Accounts From Hacking
- Kenneth Cole, Meet Celeb Boutique!
- Praise the Givers; Shun the Receivers